Saturday, April 19, 2008

del.icio.us

Way to go, Stafford!

I took a look at the Wikis by Common Craft bookmark. I then looked at "Sanjora" who recommended this for 2.0 bookmarking. I thought that this had to be a librarian's site and I was correct. Sanjora's tags included "2.0 ', "web2.0" and "library". I also saw one from "tseyb" who said that this video was good for teachers who wanted to learn about Wikis. Tseyb's had tags like 1st grade, 5th grade , along with flickr and other Internet tags.

After poking around a bit, I came to these conclusions:

After seeing Sanjora's and tseyb's bookmarks I can see how these are useful for professional and industry growth. I can share something that others may not know about and then in turn learn from others, since I can't find everything on my own. As Oclwebthings noted, this is a powerful tool and capable of truly expanding knowledge.
While I was looking at the tags for teachers, it occurred to me that we need to be prepared to help students and other customers when they come in asking for help with bookmarking sites like del.icio.us or at the very least know what they are asking about and find sources of information on the subject for them. I can see these social bookmarks have the potential to become an important tool for a lot of people.

Library Use: Stafford has already proven that we can use the web tools that young people are using today, as did Nashville Public. I couldn't spend a lot of time with the San Mato Library's bookmarks-they seemed to be a mix of library staff and public usage. This might be a bit confusing for the general public

No comments: