Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Wikis

My favorite wiki is wikihow.com "the how to manual that you can edit." There's all kinds of things in there, like crafts, home improvement and recipes.


Library Success
I looked here and there and found a mix of entries that included links to other sources.

I liked the discussion tab, there I saw people who explained the how, why and wheres of edits and organization that they did. On the day I took a look at it, there was a message that the site now required a real email address to register (only register people can edit).

This wiki can be a way to professionally grow, since you learn about what other libraries and librarians are doing, as well practicing your own skills as you bring information to the table by way of edits.



Ocean County- Wikipedia article

I looked at the edits and hadn't a clue on whether or not they were library staff. I think that whoever edited the posting about Lakewood and Beach Haven had to be some body who knew the history, it might be staff! Thanks to Oclwebthings, I did something with tabs, which I had never thought to do and I got interesting results in Library Success (see above)

Note on Wikipedia- I've used it personally, usually to find fun stuff, rather than serious matters.

No comments: