Friday, April 11, 2008

NetLibrary and WorldCat

NetLibrary

Before this challenge, I did help a few patrons get their accounts and walked them through the searching, but did not use it myself. I did a little exploring under "etiquette" hoping to find my favorite bun-haired advisor, but no luck. I did find the Complete Idiot's Guide to Cultural Etiquette.
I scrolled down the table of contents and read a few pages. I'm not sure that I will use this myself a lot, if I find an nonfiction book that we don't have, I might like to use it. I prefer a old fashion codex myself for fictional reading. I would consider this another tool for information gathering, but if a patron wants to do reading for entertainment or information, then I can guide them through with more assurance.

WorldCat

I've used WorldCat for ILLs for the following reasons:
  • Types of books that Amazon wouldn't have the info on, usually Out of Print, but one time I was able to find a local history book on a cemetery in New York.
  • Speeding the process by finding locations for the staff in ILL (when patrons really needed a rush job)
  • Just because I can!

OclWebthings Challenge

I picked a recent book that I read called Game Over by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. The closest library to have this title on 4/11 is Mount Laurel Public Library which is 40 miles away. I saw under the Subject tab that I can search for "similar items by subject". I don't remember using the advanced search, since I didn't need to in the past. I like how simple it is, the only fault I would find would that I think that Format should be on the top part of the page, rather than be down on the lower half. You don't see it at first, along with "publication date range", "audience" and "language". On second thought, I don't see why the page is divided like that, a person might think that the top half is all that there is. These search terms are important too. For instance , I might want a certain juvenile DVD in Spanish that had to be the one published in a certain time span . . .

No comments: